Publicity has changed a lot in the last few years, in large part because of the huge growth of social media. For anyone with an online business, this means we’ve had the means to create a platform, generate visibility, and connect with clients without having to go through traditional media outlets. But traditional media still holds a lot of sway, and getting featured on your local TV station, in a big publication, or on a radio show could be a big boon for your business – especially if you’re feeling stuck and unseen in your publicity efforts.
Today’s guest, Amanda Berlin, worked in corporate publicity before she realized she needed to leave the field. She thought it was soul-sucking and that publicity wasn’t the right fit for her… until she started taking on clients she actually liked working for, and her business was born. Now she combines her extensive publicity experience with her passion for helping entrepreneurs of all stripes make themselves heard, and she teaches clients how to pitch themselves to large outlets and increase their visibility.
Amanda shares a ton of super-helpful information in this episode, especially if you feel like traditional media and publicity are a mystery to you (which, for entrepreneurs, is a lot of us). We begin by talking about the importance of storytelling that sets you apart from other people in your field and why telling your story should also make you feel excited and confident about what you have to offer.
Amanda also talks about pitching and why so many entrepreneurs might feel like they’re missing out on media opportunities. She shares why you should choose your media strategy based on the goals of your business, why traditional media is still such a powerful outlet for raising your visibility, and which types of media might be better for recruiting new clients versus raising your credibility.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why telling your story in the most engaging but succinct way possible is so important for connecting with your ideal audience and potential clients.
- How to integrate your story into a pitch.
- How visibility and publicity have changed with the rise of social media and the expansion of media in general.
- What to think about when choosing which media opportunities are right for your business and your goals.
- Why you have to be vigilant in monitoring the small upticks in traffic, engagement, and leads as you test out different visibility strategies.
- What to know about mass media visibility opportunities like local TV, big magazines, and radio shows.
What does mastery mean to you?
Experience and effectively translating your experience for implementation.
Major Turning point:
Whew! I had a business epiphany when I was about a year into my entrepreneurial journey. I was struggling to figure out what I was supposed to "DO" I had left corporate and had been dabbling for a year all the while being the breadwinner for our family. I was pregnant and knew I needed to figure out where I was going to take my career. I reached out to an organization I
believed in and reluctantly offered to do some communications consulting for them (though I'd left the industry because I thought my soul was dying). When I created a proposal for this organization, I had a major lightbulb moment because I was SO ENERGIZED by brainstorming what we could do together and how I could help them. I realized communications wasn't killing my soul. I just needed to find the right people to do this work in partnership with.
You deserve to be heard. There is ENOUGH vitriol and anger out there in the media. It is TIME for those of us with a positive message, a message of healing, a message of support, a message fueled by passion to RISE UP and make our voices heard.
Links mentioned in this show
- Amanda Berlin | Facebook | Pitch School | Pitch to Prominence | The Empowered Publicity Podcast | Free Pitch Template
- Mastery & Message #20: Turning your tangible skill into a successful business with leveraged income – with Courtney Chaal
- Want to kickstart your outreach strategy or take it to the next level? Check out my Influencer Outreach Checklist and start building great relationships with influencers, peers, and even potential clients.
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcast
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I'd like to encourage you to do that right now. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding an in-depth interview with personable business owners who are still in the trenches so the learning is current.
Now if you’re feeling extra connected to what we've shared, I would LOVE it if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also giving me great feedback on how I'm doing. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what part of the podcast moved you. Thanks so much!